DMU 1 vs. Leicester Tempest

It’s been a while since we’ve had a Leicester derby with both of last year’s fixtures being delayed but this week the clash was on. We were away to DMU 1 although luckily for us, away isn’t too far with DMU’s home venue also being one of ours! As it always does, our match with DMU made for a tense, hard-fought and enjoyable game. In my eyes, the game of the season so far.

For once, we had almost a full roster of Tempest players fresh off the back of our big win less than a week earlier. Taking to the court in our intimidating black away strip were:

Neil Robinson
Karl Sears
Faz Flintham
Mel Kupaza

And the second division:

Tom O’Callaghan (Captain – me)
Stuart Trolley (on debut)
Abbie Mycroft
Shannon Hibbett

with Ed Rainbow as rolling sub.

The game started with a bang. Our own Karl Sears sunk one within the first two minutes as did DMU and as quickly as that came the change of ends. Defence picked up on both sides, Neil & Karl held DMU’s Joe off from scoring and made some exceptional collects. Mel and Faz played a flawless defence keeping the girls out of feed wherever possible. On my side, Stuart got a couple of shots away undefended (not bad for a club debut against the exceptional Alan & Ed of DMU) and Abbie and Shannon found a good flow in their passing nipping between feed and collect beautifully. Full disclosure: my passing was abysmal and lost us possession on more -than one occasion. Luckily the other division soon picked up my slack! Around 10 minutes in I sank my first, a short time later Karl did too and we gradually established a nice lead. Mel sank an incredible long shot and we soon had a comfortable margin.

Other notable first half highlights included two ref’s time-outs for Abbie who played on for the whole game covered in plasters thanks to somehow ending up bleeding from two separate wounds! Karl rolled off shortly before half-time for Ed and then quickly back on for Stuart. Bu the whistle DMU had come back and we were up by one at 5:6.

Half-time team talks looked at some minor issues but were overall very positive as everyone was playing their hearts out.

Second half saw DMU bring on a few fresh faces and 15 minutes in we were 9 a piece thanks to goals from Karl, Abbie and myself. Karl and I were putting up shots left & right thanks to brilliant support from Abbie & Shannon and Neil, Ed, Faz & Mel were locking down shots on the other end. Unfortunately, despite hitting the inside of the rim repeatedly, Karl and I couldn’t sink any and DMU pulled in two just before the whistle.

At the final whistle it was 11:9. A fantastic game even if the result passed us by. I couldn’t be prouder of everyone’s performance. My only criticisms for the game are aimed at myself for missing 4 absolute sitters and for some truly awful passes!

Our next game is away to Nottingham University 3 on Sunday 31/01 -a tough game but nothing we can’t handle – plus, we’ll be seeing DMU 1 again at home soon and have two matches against DMU 2 coming up so we can soon reset the scales!